Monday, February 24, 2014

Creeking More In The ATL (with your host Nate Creekmore) Episode #31

I'm not from Atlanta, but I live here, and (because I live here) people who don't live here ask me, "Creek, what's Atlanta really like?"  I don't know what Atlanta is really like, but if you'd like to know what it's like for me, I invite you to sit back and enjoy another episode of "CREEKING MORE IN THE ATL (with your host Nate Creekmore)"!!!

[I also have a dream]

In the city of Atlanta, I once visited the Martin Luther King Jr Memorial with my close friend and his family.



Some of you might be thinking, "Isn't that a little too cute?  An interracial couple at the MLK Memorial...?" or maybe you're thinking, "White women falling for black men, that's what Martin Luther King Jr's dream was all about."

Interraciality, miscegenation, etc... for me, these things are the norm.  I spent the first eighteen years of my life eating, sleeping, and praying with an interracial couple (in fact, it took me a long time to accept that non-interracial couples are not necessarily an abomination before God).  I still see them for most major holidays or when I'm backed into a corner and require assistance.



And anyway, this episode has nothing to do with interracial love or the perception/reality thereof, it's about how I was, briefly, a father and a husband.

Here's how it went down...

My friend (who is Texan by way of Jamaica) was in town with his wife (who is Texan by way of Texas) and daughter (who is some kind of radical Texan/Jamaican hybrid) and they stayed with me in my spacious abode for several days.



They wanted to get out and see a bit of the city, and since I'm an excellent tour guide and have an expansive knowledge of Atlanta, I decided we should all see the King Memorial.



That's when it happened...







It was great; the lovely little family I've always dreamed of having was all mine!

...but then the gravity of what it means to be a father and a husband set in.



I began to feel the need to provide for them and protect them.  It occurred to me that I ought to get a better job, start moving up the ladder, saving for the future.  How was I ever going to be able to afford to send my little girl off to college?



And her mother?  I barely paid her any attention at all.  What were her hopes?  Her dreams?



...the pressure... the responsibility...



...I panicked.








That's when I realized that all the people who say things like, "Nate, you'd be a wonderful husband" and "One day you're going to be a terrific father" are just being nice or/and they're lying.

Oh well.  If you can't have a dream at the King Memorial, where can you have one?

There you have it folks, another exciting episode of "Creeking More in the ATL (with your host Nate Creekmore)"!  Be sure and come back for the next installment wherein I pretend to be a guy who knows how to cook a decent meal for himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment