Monday, September 12, 2016

Bucket List

...it's in Rome, more specifically, it's in Vatican City...



...if you enter St. Peter's Basilica, it is displayed inside of the first chapel on the right...



...sculpted from a block of marble, the work is 76.8inches x 68.5 inches, wide at the bottom and tapering to the top, a pyramid shape, completed in two years, from 1498-1499, by Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni...



For me, this is the most masterful, the most compelling, the most so-good-that-frankly-it's-disturbing piece of artwork ever created.  I'd like to see it in person one of these days.

But, when my brother-in-law was in Rome this past summer, he stopped by to have a look and he got me this:



So any time I have a hankering to see it, I just put this little guy up on a shelf and I can pretend I'm actually there, in Rome, looking at it.  And it's just small because I'm standing way in the back.


Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment